Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Forts

This is the third of four entries that I wrote while on Magnetic Island and unable to upload things. Be sure you read all four entries.

May 9
Magnetic Island
Hot, breezy, and sunny early
Cloudy in late afternoon

I wrote a short entry earlier today while at an internet kiosk over at Arcadia, but I suspect that I won't be uploading anything until I get up to Cairns on Thursday. Let me apologize if things are a little out of order, but I think that will be the way of it for now. Several of the places I've stopped at both here and in Brisbane have said that they anticipate having a connection like Global Gossip by next year, so perhaps the 2007 trip will fare better.

Today was my day to wander up to The Forts, a WWII relic on the island. During the war, Magnetic Island was considered a good spot for an observation and signaling post, since any Japanese attack on Townsville would need to go past here. Our tour guides have told us that there are still many old-timers on the island who can recall a lot about the US and ANZAC forces stationed here. But apart from a couple of shipwrecks, all that remains from that time are the gun emplacements and the reinforced buildings at the observation post. This area is called The Forts, and is about a 3km hike total: a little over 1km in, then an 800m circuit before coming back out. It's s significant hike up; you're changing elevation at least 300 feet from the beginning of the trail to the post itself. It's a very pleasant walk, though. The trail takes you past many striking rock formations. Magnetic Island is essentially a lot of volcanic granite rock with sandy soil on top that the plants grow in; the rocks are revealed when the sand is eroded away. The trail is also a showcase of almost all the exotic flora you might find over here: Norfolk Island pines, eucalyptus (of course), wattle, banksia, satanay; there's even a few strangler figs up there. The wildlife folks have attempted to introduce a koala colony on the island, and The Forts are considered one of the best spots to see one. I have not, though in both years when we've been here some of the students have. I'm usually so busy watching my feet that I'm sure I've passed within a few feet of them without noticing.

At the end of the walk is a 800m circuit that takes you through the remnants of the post: a couple of gun emplacements, the command center, and the signal station. The signal station is at the very highest point (of course) and affords the best views of the island, and the shipping channels. The mainland is on the other side, so you cannot see it so well. There were two men at the signal station when I got there, on holiday from Townsville with their families. We chatted for a bit, mostly about the weather, ad then I was on my way. I had begun the walk with my colleague, but he soon told me to go on ahead, that he was going to do it at a slower pace. I never saw him as a completed the circuit and headed back, but when I got to the bus stop, there he was! We figure that he must have passed when I was talking with those men. But talk about a tortoise and hare race .....

. .


It is now May 10, about 11:30 am. I just got done with a hike from Nelly Bay over to Picnic Bay, and then a climb up to Hawking Point, overlooking Picnic, Nelly, and Rocky Bays. I'm sitting at the Picnic Bay Mall, a sort of an esplanade from the old jetty that runs the length of the beach. It is a beautiful day, with a very nice breeze blowing -- and a chap with a weed whacker wandering about making lots of noise. Well, it is his job ...The view at Hawking Point is probably the loveliest that I've seen on the island thus far. You can see across the strait to Townsville, you can look down on Picnic, Nelly, and Rocky Bays, and you can get a pretty good feel for the geography of the southeastern portion of the island. At the bottom of the climb, there was an Australian couple who asked me if it was the trail. I must not look much like a tourist; I guess I'll have to dress better or something! They must have followed me up, since I saw them again after I stopped at a nice viewpoint about halfway up. It was a bit of a tricky climb, but the three of us managed to get to the top after only a couple of false turns. They were on holiday up from Brisbane, so we chatted a bit about the weather down south. Water is always on the mind of the Australians; it is so dry all over, but especially from Brisbane and on south. I know there are many people who think that this is nothing more than cyclical variation; they may be right and I hope that they're right, but I fear that the changes we're seeing in the climate are not going away. But enough about that. I'm going to have lunch and then head back to Nelly Bay for some relaxation and packing. We're going to have a group dinner tonight. Then tomorrow, it's off to Cairns.

No comments: